13 August 2016

SPAGHETTI IN ROASTED RED BELL PEPPER SAUCE


When I saw this recipe by Ree Drummond, I had to try it myself. I have given it a few tweaks to suit my palate while still preserving the essence. Its quick, simple and easy. Just how I like my weekday meals to be. 

Red Bell Peppers are delicious in every form. Roasting them further enhances their wonderful flavor. I always have a bottle of roasted bell peppers in my pantry, comes in handy to make pastas, crostini, sandwiches or just about anything.

Ingredients:


Spaghetti or any pasta of your choice, 12 oz 
Olive Oil, 2 tbsp
Garlic, 2 tbsp finely chopped
Onion, 1 medium finely chopped
Roasted Red Bell Pepper, 2 or 3 red peppers or one 15 oz jar
Salt to taste
Italian Mixed Herbs, 1 tbsp
Chili Flakes, 1 tbsp
Fresh Basil, handful leaves
Fresh Cream, 1/4 cup
Cheese for garnishing (optional)

Procedure:


1. Boil water in a pan, add in some olive oil and salt.


2, Add in the spaghetti and cook till al dente. 


3. Wash and clean the red bell pepper. Roast it over an open flame till charred or pop it in the over for 30-40 minutes at 500 degrees. Discard the stem and roughly cut them. You can also use store bought roasted bell peppers like I did. 

4. Heat a pan and add olive oil. 

 

5. Throw in the chopped garlic.


6. Add in the pink onions and let them sweat until they turn pink.

 

7. Add in the roasted bell peppers and cook them for a few minutes.  
 

8. Turn off the heat and let it cool. Once cool, blend into a smooth sauce. 

 



9. Pour the sauce back into the heat pan and add about half a cup of water.  



10. Sprinkle some chili flakes, Italian herbs, salt and mix well.


11. Add in some fresh cream and mix.


12. Throw in some fresh basil.


13. Add the spaghetti.


14. Cook for another 5 minutes.


 15. Serve hot topped with some grated cheese and fresh basil with a side of your favorite bread to soak up the sauce!
  


No comments:

Post a Comment