11 May 2016

Banana Chips






These are my favorite favorite chips.. I have a weakness for fried food and once I start on these its difficult to stop. I have made the thin and crispy variety today in both black pepper and red chili flavor. The secret to that perfect crunch with every bite is to fry them on medium low heat and you will feel them separating as they cook. 

Living in Australia, I used to pine for these but the prices there were exorbitant so I only started making them after arriving in US. Here's how I make these:

Ingredients:

Plantains, half dozen
Oil to fry
Salt to taste
Red Chili powder, 3 tbsp
Black Pepper Powder, 3 tbsp

Procedure:

1. Peel the plantains. We just want to remove the green outer layer thinly.



2. Heat oil on medium low heat. 



3. Slice the plantains directly into the oil. I sliced one complete plantain at a time.


4. Stir them lightly in between and turn them around. One batch roughly takes about 5-6 minutes. 



5. They will become light and start separating as they get crispy. 


6. Remove them on absorbent paper and add in the salt and spice while its still hot and mix well. Let them cool and store in an airtight container. 


These stay good for 2 months without any problems if stored properly. Though they never last that long in my house. 

No comments:

Post a Comment