2 April 2016

Malai Kulfi



I don't think I have a sweet tooth. Yes, of course I like chocolates (some of them) and cakes (most of them) but I cannot have anything too sweet. And yet I loved these kulfis. 

My Nani used to make kulfis everyday. Yes, every single day. Her mornings would start with boiling and reducing the milk in a kadhai, throwing in a few nuts, saffron, sugar and pouring it into ice cube trays for my Nanaji, who would ask for it every afternoon. Her recipe was simple and fool proof and I still remember that wonderful taste. And you could be sure of this ice cream in her freezer no matter when you called upon her. 

I think I am like her and my mother in a lot of ways but I lack their patience. So I came up with my own version of a cheat kulfi with almost the same taste and was a great success at our party last night. Do try it and let me know how you liked it.

Ingredients:

Evaporated Milk - 2 cans of 12 oz each
Sweetened Condensed Milk - 1 can of 14 oz
Saffron - few strands
Khoya - grated 1 cup
Pistachio, 3 tbsp chopped
Almonds, 3 tbsp chopped
Kulfi moulds

Method:

1. I happened to see these beautiful traditional kulfi moulds at a local grocery store in Seattle but you can use whatever you have at hand of even an ice tray like my Nani would do.



 2. Take a pan and add the evaporated milk to it and heat it on medium to low heat while stirring continuously


 3. Once heated, add the condensed milk to it along with the saffron strands and almond and pistachios


4. Now simmer this until it starts to thicken while stirring continuously  


5. Once the mixture begins to thicken, turn off the heat


6. Grate the khoya and add it to the pan and mix well




7. Take one tablespoon of almonds and pistachios and add them to the moulds 



 8. Let the mixture cool completely and then pour it into the moulds and place it in the freezer. Mine took about 5 hours.



9. After 5 hours remove them from the freezer. Run the moulds under running water for a few seconds and the kulfi will loosen from the sides. Your delicious kulfi's are ready to serve!



No comments:

Post a Comment