18 July 2016

VAGHARELA POPTA.. Dadi's Recipe!






This is a Parikh Parivar's treasured recipe. Kids and adults love it alike! My grandmother in law makes it. She is my favorite person in my husband's family. She breaks all the cliches one would expect from someone her age and given that I am her granddaughter in law. You can converse with her on any topic. She would know the latest on Kareena as well as Modi. She is a storehouse of stories that can awaken the dullest of spirits. But thats not why I love her. I love her because of how she makes me feel. She makes me feel a part of her family. She loves and respects me. 

We talk at least once a month and she would always ask me if my husband is looking after me and if I am happy (even after 6 years :)). And she is not someone who minces their words. Its so refreshing to meet someone who says exactly what they mean.. truly admirable! And when she speaks to Jashan, she would tell him 'Vahu vahal karvani vastu che, vadwa ni nai (A wife should be cherished, never chided).' She said this the first time when we all met together and she still says that to Jashan each and every time. She is one of the best gifts Jashan has given me and one day when we have kids I want them to grow up hearing the same stories from her, the way Jashan did. 

Last time she visited us I asked her to teach me this dish as its my husband's favorite. Its simple, delicious, healthy and the quickest lunch or breakfast possible. Sometimes when I am out of time or have nothing planned I make this as a quick lunch. 

Ingredients:


Green Chana/Popta, 2 cups (I used frozen)
Ghee, 1 tsp
Asafoetida, a pinch
Mustard Seeds, 1 tsp
Cumin Seeds, 1 tsp
Turmeric Powder, 1 tsp
Salt to taste
Curry Leaves, 1 sprig
Green chili, 1


Procedure:


1. I used frozen green chana, they are easily available in most Indian stores.


2. Heat a pan, add in the ghee. 


2. Add in the mustard and cumin seeds. 


3. She adds in the whole green chili as the kids dont like it and can be easily removed later but you're welcome to chop it. 


4. Add in the curry leaves and asafoetida. 


5. Add in the green chana, turmeric powder and salt and let it cook for 5 minutes on medium low heat covered. Stir once in between.



6. Cook another minute without cover and enjoy hot!



No comments:

Post a Comment