14 October 2016

FRESH TOMATO MOZZARELLA BASIL SANDWICH




I had this wonderful pizza during one of my recent jaunts.. a simple mozzarella, basil & tomato pizza. Now, who could have thought that this humble pizza could be anything but. I was wrong. I am not big on pizzas or cheese but this blew me away. I never knew that mozzarella could be this fresh and melt in your mouth and the flavor of fresh basil transported me to Italy (or I how imagine it to be).

Naturally, I tried this at home. But in a slightly different way. I made a sandwich using the freshest of ingredients sourced locally. Try using fresh bread, mozzarella and basil for maximum flavor. I assure you this will become a regular on your menu too. 

You can also spread pesto on your baguette and add vine or grape tomatoes to give it a twist. Club it with a hot soup for a heartwarming meal on an Autumn evening. 

Ingredients:


Olive Oil, 1/2 cup
Italian Herbs, 1 tsp
Sea Salt to taste
Black Pepper, 1/4 tsp (optional)
Roma Tomato, 2 sliced thickly
Fresh Mozzarella, 5 ounces
Fresh Basil, handful
French Baguette, 1

Procedure:


1. Take olive oil in a bowl



2. Add the Italian herbs, black pepper & sea salt.




3. Give it a good mix. 


4. Marinate the tomatoes in the olive oil mixture for 20 minutes or more. 


5. Take some fresh mozzarella and cut into thick slices.



6. Get all the ingredients for the sandwich together, fresh basil, mozzarella and marinated tomatoes. 


7. Take a fresh french baguette and cut into half. 

 


8. Halve both the baguette pieces. 


9. Grease the insides of the baguettes with the olive oil marinade.


 10. Place the tomato slices on one side of the marinated baguette. 
 

 11. Top with the mozzarella slices. 


12. Finish with some fresh basil leaves (torn). 



 13. If there is any leftover marinate pour it over at this point. 


14. If you like your cheese melted you can also pop the sandwich into the oven and give it a quick broil until you see the mozzarella bubbling. Should take about 5 minutes in a preheated oven. 



15. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment